Friday, May 17, 2013

Nautical is Nice... Apartment Update

Before I begin, I'll preface by saying I grew up around boats, I love beach houses and I am a sucker for anything nautical. That said, the beach-y look can turn ugly fast. I'm more of the Maine beach house meets Ralph Lauren type, complete with vintage stars and stripes pillows and plaid.

You saw the early photos of the apartment in my Color-Block Desk Tutorial, but it has been a few months now and the decor has taken on more personality.

Before

 


After


What's been added?
1. Wooden oars from the Austin City Wide Garage Sale. If you live in Central Texas and have never been, then go! It is held almost every month. The next sale will be June 22-23 at the Austin Palmer Events Center. Maybe we ill see you there. :)
2. IKEA Ribba picture ledge in 45 1/4 size- $14.99
3. IKEA Ribba frames in assorted sizes- $4.99 to $19.99
4. A cactus my wonderful grandmother gave me as a housewarming gift
5. A Smith & Hawken round chalkboard basket from Target- $39.99- This is the most expensive thing I have in the room, but it really ties everything together– and there is a chalkboard on it!
6. Large down pillows from Tuesday Morning– I think these were $20 each (originally $60 each)
7. Assorted succulents from Home Depot- $3 to $10. These really warm the space. I am a HUGE succulent fan and they are so easy to take care of.

Now I just need to decide on print for the beautiful frames. I am thinking this would be a perfect place to add those touched of plaid and vintage stars and stripes I was talking about. Oh, and can't forget a photo of Sully!

I still have the TV set up on the Color-Block Desk from the earlier tutorial, but I am loving this IKEA Vittsjo hack from Honey Sweet Home! Ikea sells the shelf for $70 and the separate TV unit for $59! A French-inspired media center and Etagere for $130? Yes, please!

I sense a tutorial coming on...